Facing Human Wrongs:
Navigating paradoxes and complexities
of social and global change.
“Exponential Growth Equals Extinction” Exercise
In this exercise, you are asked to connect five short resources:
1) ‘Bill Gates is continuing the work of Monsanto’ by Vandana Shiva here.
2) Canada, it’s time for Land Back by Pam Palmeter here.
3) 300 Years of FOSSIL FUELS in 300 Seconds, Post-Carbon Institute here.
4) Communication tactics disguised as politics, by Greta Thunberg, here.
5) Elephant in the Room, narrated by Donna Haraway, here.
Dipping in questions for you to sit with:
What do the four resources have in common? How are they different?
How are the three stories similar or different from what you were taught at school and by the media?
What is the mainstream story about sustainability? How is this story reproduced in society? What would be an Indigenous view of sustainability?
Who has provided the materials and the labour force for the construction and maintenance of the house modernity built?